Monday, June 11, 2012

Astounding

Today I discovered that my manager and assistant general manager were fired. I say discovered because a person approached me in the parking lot when I pulled into work and said Hey, I heard a rumor. I went in and took a look in active directory and sure enough, the big red X of termination. Then I looked in HelpStar and sure enough, two Helpstars entered, one per person removing access. I helped out and sent the child request to Telecom to disable their phones.

I am only back to work partial days still and when I left at 1:00 there has not been any official notification email, meeting, or hey guess what from anyone in any kind of supervisory role in my department. No official announcement of who's in charge in the interim. Nothing. There are lots and lots of rumors, but nothing official.

So far the only effect this has had on me is I can't stop eating. My stomach has been shrunk to the size of a walnut for months and after I saw the big red X of confirmation I was suddenly ravenous. Seriously, I can't stop eating. One peach, a plum, a Milky Way, one turkey/cheese sandwich, a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, two fudge pops, a chocolate shake, one coke, four cups of coffee with cream and sugar, and as I type this I'm remembering we have 1/4 of a watermelon in the fridge.

And the whole giggling thing needs to stop. Seriously. I hate to see anyone lose their job. But I can't stop giggling. And my hands are trembling. I was trying to knit so I wouldn't eat, but I keep dropping the needles.

Ok, maybe I don't mind so much these two losing their jobs really. The assistant general manager one has been a poison to our company for many, many years. I'm so glad someone above him finally saw it. I'm so thankful I only work partial days. The giggling thing has to stop.

I have no idea what this means for me. Probably nothing. The write up is still in my file and I have still had to use up every hour of vacation and sick leave I had saved. Short term disability still thinks workers' comp should pay, workers comp still says no.

But I don't have that complete powerless, hopeless feeling in my gut anymore.

I am home, I am safe, and I can't stop eating and giggling. Perhaps that's not a bad thing.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete