Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Speaking to my heart

You're truly good and humanity is better just because you walk among us.


I have to say that is the best compliment (besides Ken's proposal) I have ever received. It was just a part of a note I received from a friend. The note was so sweet and thoughtful. But that sentence made me catch my breath. I received it on just the right day. One of those days when you are dealing with these people and you start to doubt yourself. I always considered myself a nice loving person. I don't have any hidden or secret agendas. What you see is what you get. If I am mad at you, you know it. If someone needs help, I do my best to help or find someone better suited for the need. I don't judge others on appearances or beliefs. I try to give people many many chances to do better. 


All the negativity at work about my attitude, the finger pointing and accusations about mistreating my co-workers somehow. I had started to question everything I did and said. I became afraid to talk to anyone. I didn't know who I was supposedly offending or how. I still don't.  So I didn't know who I could confide in or rely on. Having consequences for behaviors that sound so unlike me is just devastating. 


And then the compliment arrived in my inbox. 


I have a choice on who I let speak to my heart. 


Those people have power to do what they want with my job. They have power over where I have to sit and how I spend my time for 10 hours Monday through Thursday. But they do not have power over me, or my self esteem, or my values, or my beliefs. 


I AM a beautiful perfect child of my God. My goal in life is to do good and make the lives of the people around me better.


Thank you Brian. You are a gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment