Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cobie's Scarf


I had a request for a specific color that I don't usually play around with much so I thought I'd play with it today.

Introducing:

Green


Colorhue colors Green, Yellow, Black
8mm Habotai Silk Scarf 


Fill a sandwich ziploc baggie just a tad bit less than 1/2 way with water. Add 6 to 8 drops of green and 3 to 4 drops of yellow. I wet the silk and immersed in the baggie. Zip it shut and shake it around so that the dye gets into the silk. If I want it to be splotchy I don't shake it up. If you want you can open the bag and swirl it around with your hand to make sure there isn't an area stuck together. Remove the scarf from the bag and squeeze out excess water. If you let it sit long enough the silk will suck all the color out of the water and you are left with clear water for the next item!  

Then accordian fold the silk lengthwise. Secure the end of the silk on tube. Any old kind of tube works, mine happens to be 1 inch PVC pipe about 12 inches long. Then wrap the silk an a diagonal, sides touching, but not over lapping. 

Sorry, I didn't think to start taking pictures until I got this far. 


Once you have a good amount of the scarf wrapped around start pushing it up towards the rubber band so that is scrunches up evenly. Secure the other end with a rubber band. 


Once both ends are secure wrap the scarf tightly all over with thread. I usually tie it at one end then just wind the spool around. Then you can really scrunch the scarf up a lot. The string will help you bunch it up. Slip the rubber bands off the scarf, but leave them on the pole at the end of the scarves. This helps keep the scarf from slipping off if your thread comes loose or wasn't real tight to begin with. 


I then used eye droppers to put three different greens on the scarf. First one was about 1/4 cup water with 8 drops green, the second was 1/4 cup water with 20 drops green, the third was 1/4 cup of water with 20 drops green and five drops of black. 


Applied by the dropper full lengthwise to the scarf in a random pattern. 

The finished product:




It is still wet in this picture so is a bit more transparent than it will be when dry. I will post pictures of it later when it dries. 

I'm doing another one with the same technique, but with different tones of green and with some brown added. I'll post the end result of that later too. 

So, Ken didn't think Cobie's scarf had enough color so we have modified it. 

Rubber band each end of the scarf to either end of the pvc pipe. Bunch the scarf and place rubber bands around scarf/pole until the entire scarf is bunched up. Wrap with thread. Then saturate it with more 20 drop green, and then more 20 drop green with 6 drops black added. 

It's annoying when he's right lol















1 comment:

  1. Nice! I really like the finished scarf and I think Ken was right on. You should be happy that you have such a good assistant. I am thinking about trying orange with blue accents.

    ReplyDelete