Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Idea

One of the ideas I had was to open a fiber arts store/coffee shop here in the Burg. There is only one place to get yarn (excluding WalMart) and it is in a co-op type store. There is rarely someone there who knows anything about yarn to help you, and they carry limited accessories. By the way I generally try and exclude WalMart from my shopping list. If it can be bought locally that is always the first choice. Plus all WalMart carries is acrylic yarn. The yarn at the co-op place was heavy on acrylic too, some small selection of nice, but not much.

The Burg is a huge tourist/shopping/wine destination. I think a little cottage house on the west end of main or over by HEB would be a good location. West Main would be preferable. Rents here are crazy though. I've been eyeing a couple places that I think we could put a drive through for coffee to go. The Burg lacks a good coffee drive through. There are already a couple of coffee shops. One is right in the middle of million dollar mile and locals can't really get to it easily, the other is one block off Main, but kind of hard to find. The third is on West Main, but every time I go in there it's a bit spotty on service and a bit grimy.

I want to put a coffee bar in the shop as I think that will draw in customers. I can leave little balls of yarn and needles on tables with a how-to card. Host sit and knit groups in the coffee lounge. Maybe build a deck out back.

The fiber arts part of the shop wouldn't just be yarn and knitting supplies. I'd carry embroidery, crochet, hook rugs, needlepoint, silk and cotton blanks, and dyes and paints. Maybe a small selection of nice fabrics. Offer classes from experts periodically. A small version of an artist in residence perhaps? One of the buildings I was looking at had a small apartment on top of it. Have the guest artist stay there. I could even put up a monkeyhut outside whenever weather permitted and do some outside tie-dye things with kids.

Brainstorming ideas. I've been reading the Small Business Administrations website, formulating a business plan, and totally scaring the crap out of myself. But I'm excited for the first time in a long time about something.

Oh what I could do with $100,000.00.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I say go for it :) You've done the most important and hardest part of making sure a small business succeeds in developing a very unique niche. Now figure out exactly who your customers are and see how many of them are nearby!

    If the potential is there, there's a lot of avenues you can go for funding. There's a few grant programs for small businesses that are specifically for women as well. Don't forget sites like indiegogo as well, you're well connected to a big community that is into group funding.

    Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say start small to make sure that you have a market. Also be careful because whatever inventory you keep on hand will be taxable as "assets". A lot of new yarn shop owners aren't fully aware of that and it bites them in the ass. Touristy knitters are going to want specialty dyed sock yarn or lace. They typically won't buy sweater amount of yarn. Scarf or shawl amounts yes, sweaters not so much.

    Go to your nearest yarn stores and note which brands they carry so that you can fill the holes. My favorite yarn store in TX is the Shabby Sheep in Dallas. Very cute shop, super nice people. If I was opening a yarn shop, I would carry Cascade, some etsy-oriented hand dyers from TX, Fyberspates yarn, and if you have any sheep farmers in your area, possibly start carrying a fleece or two from them for the spinners. Oh and I would carry A Verb For Keeping Warm as the super fancy hand dyed yarn.

    Like I said tho, start small. The knitters will seek you out even if you're in a strip mall. Give yourself the best possible chance for survival by keeping your overhead low.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying this to see if it will post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should visit the Mountain View Ark. Craft Center and see all the beautiful knitted things made by the local crafters.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Just read through your blog. Hang in there. Things will get better.

    In the meantime, take a look at http://fourhourworkweek.com/

    It may be of some help to you and suit your situation nicely. (FYI I am not affiliated with that site; I just think it may be something that would pique your interest.)

    For what it's worth, no job / employer has the right to make you miserable. Life is way to short for that. The keys to your future are in your hands, not theirs. : )

    -One who has been there.

    ReplyDelete